|Like Freddy Krueger, IMG (pictured) is tough to get rid of.|
Relatedly, I got one request from a relatively new commenter to "dissect" his contributions for the day and talk about why each one worked/did not work. That's a very brave and generous offer, given what I've done to my good friends here, but I think I'm going to decline. For one, I still doubt my qualifications to render advice. But, more importantly, there's just too much risk that someone will interpret that as "this idea isn't funny, so you can never use it; copy what got the +1, and you can't miss." No matter how many times it gets said, it bears repeating that nothing is ever out of bounds, other than unoriginal, boring comments (and, hell, Phin even finds a way to make those work). The only question is whether it's funny. Don't be afraid to breath new life into even the oldest, most tired meme if you can actually find a way to make it fresh and original. I don't want to say anything here that might discourage creativity or limit any one's pool of material.
Second, I'm not going to endeavor to call out every good comment, or even the best comments of the day. I'm going to focus on the ones that I feel like writing about. That's not to say comment quality won't be rewarded, but just to say please don't freak out and assume I hate your comment if I don't post it, like I used to do whenever MBA missed one of mine. Nope, I pick five a day, and that's it. Feel free to prop up others that you enjoyed in the comments.
So, sit back, enjoy an ice cool beverage, and have a good laugh at me failing miserably at this.
Today's Top Five Comments, In No Particular Order:
Nothing from MKM today, so this will take more effort than usual ....
5. Gamboa Constrictor scored points the surest way he knows with this one: by stealing a joke that Bevraj of Choice had success with just a few weeks ago. Whatever, dogs are funny. +1.
4. I got a good laugh of this joke from EddieMurraySparkles, mostly because it reminded me of a song that's pretty unintentionally hilarious on its own, and also because I hate Craig James as much as any human being can hate someone he's never met and didn't even know existed until his son got locked in a closet by an unbalanced Mormon football coach.
3. No surprise that this selection from sweatingmullets made the list; the surprise instead is that sweatingmullets still comments on Deadspin. Who knew? Seriously, it's a beautiful pun, the best use of the Brat Pack references all day, and it gives me a chance to laugh at someone whose life is objectively better than mine in every possible respect. Well done.
2. ReverseApeChemist delivered this comment that probably should have been sent to #metadayspa. But that doesn't mean it wasn't hilarious to all of us self-referential losers who have nothing better to do in life than read meaningless shit like this site in case their name gets mentioned. [stares daggers at UweBollocks]
1. This joke from Bring Back Anthony Mason didn't get any love, but I thought it was pretty clever. Of course, I also think that The Naked Gun is the finest movie ever made, so maybe you should reconsider spending your time reading my opinions.
Let's be honest, this joke is easily your early front runner for COTY and maybe COTM.
That wasn't so bad! See you all tomorrow, maybe with some sort of new shit?!